Mini Movie Review: Daybreakers (2009)

Wednesday 30 November 2011 @ 11:08 pm

Set in 2019 where a plague has turned 90% of the world’s population into vampires with the remaining 10% hunted and farmed for their blood, vampire haematologist Edward Dalton (Ethan Hawke) is working to create a blood substitute when, returning home one night, he encounters a group of human survivors led by a former vampire (Willem Dafoe) who claims to have found a cure to save the human race.

Sympathetic to their cause, Dalton agrees to help the survivors and joins the remaining group as the vampire army closes in.

Part sci-fi, part (supposedly) horror, this is a fine movie with an interesting angle on the whole vampire spiel offering a view of how the world might be run if populated almost exclusively by vampires. There’s nothing remotely scary here although there’s a fair bit of gore and the creatures that the vampires change into are pretty nasty and vicious. It’s also very well shot with a futuristic, almost Matrix like cold filter applied to the lens with none of the silly blundering about in darkness that too often blights similar films of this genre.

Score: 4/5